In the Elder Scrolls Online, there are three main attributes: Health, Magicka, and Stamina. These are your primary resources that allow you to fight and survive in ESO’s fast-paced combat system. In this guide, you will learn how each resource works to your benefit and how to improve it.
ESO Main Attributes
The three main Attributes available in The Elder Scrolls Online are:
- Health: determines the amount of damage you can take in combat before dying and how much healing you can receive.
- Magicka: determines the amount of magic-based abilities your character can use before running out of Magicka as well as the strength of those abilities.
- Stamina: determines the amount of stamina-based abilities your character can use before running out of Stamina as well as the strength of those abilities AND allows for other physical actions like Sprinting, Roll-dodging, Sneaking, Blocking, Bashing or Breaking Free from crowd control.
ESO Health Attribute
Health is the easiest Attribute to understand in The Elder Scrolls Online. The Health Attribute increases your character’s total Health Pool. When enemies attack you they deal damage which then lowers your Health. When your character reaches 0 Health they die and must either be revived or respawn.
Some abilities in ESO also increase in effectiveness based on the amount of Total Health your character has. Examples of these abilities include the Sorcerer ability Hardened Ward which grants a maximum shield size equal to 60% of your Total Health and the Warden ability Arctic Blast which increases its healing based on your character’s Total Health.
ESO Magicka Attribute
Your Magicka Attribute is another important stat in The Elder Scrolls Online. This stat increases your character’s total Magicka Pool. Magicka in The Elder Scrolls Online is used to cast some of the most powerful abilities in the game including Buffs, Heals, damaging effects. When your Magicka Pool runs low you will no longer be able to cast these abilities.
Your character’s Magicka Pool can also be used to block attacks when holding an Ice Staff if the Tri Force passive from the Destruction Staff skill line is enabled.
Finally, if Your Magicka Pool is your highest offensive stat then your Total Magicka will also determine the effectiveness of your Heals and Damage skills, making them do more damage or heal for more.
ESO Stamina Attribute
Your Stamina Attribute is also extremely important in ESO. This stat increases your character’s total Stamina Pool. Stamina in The Elder Scrolls Online is used to cast many in-game abilities as well including Buffs, Heals and damaging effects. Your Stamina is also consumed by many Core Combat abilities including:
- Dodge Roll
- Break Free
When your Stamina Pool runs low you will no longer be able to cast stamina-based abilities OR complete any of the Core Combat functions listed above. Running low on Stamina can be deadly in ESO!
Finally, if Your Stamina Pool is your highest offensive stat then your Total Stamina will also determine the effectiveness of your Heals and Damage skills, making them do more damage or heal for more.
How to spend Attribute Points in ESO
To spend Attribute Points in ESO, access your character sheet by pressing “C” on PC, or the Character menu on Console. Once here you can spend your Attribute Points by using the plus symbol next to the corresponding attribute (Health, Magicka, or Stamina) that you would like to increase.
This page allows you to see your character’s statistics. This is very helpful as you can play around and see the affects of what spending a point in one of the three main attributes would have on your character’s overall stats, before confirming attribute point allocation.
How to reset Attributes in ESO
If at any point you would like to change the allocation of your attributes there are a few quick ways to do so. The three ways players in The Elder Scrolls Online can reset their character’s attribute points are:
- Using a Shrine of Rededication
- Using an Attribute Respec Scroll
- Using an Armorer or Armory Station
How to gain more Attribute Points
Each time you level up from Level 1 to Level 50 in The Elder Scrolls Online, you will be rewarded with more Attribute Points. You are typically awarded 1 Attribute Point per level but important milestones such as Level 10 or Level 30 can award 2 or even 3 total Attribute Points. Be sure to remember to claim your level up rewards as this is the only way to obtain your Attribute Points.
Attribute Points Per Level in ESO
Leveling up in The Elder Scrolls Online grants the following Attribute Points per level.
- Levels 2-4: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 5: 2 Attribute Points
- Level 6-9: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 10: 3 Attribute Points
- Level 11-14: Attribute Point
- Level 15: 2 Attribute Points
- Level 16-19: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 20: 3 Attribute Points
- Level 21-24: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 25: 2 Attribute Points
- Level 26-29: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 30: 3 Attribute Points
- Level 31-34: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 35: 2 Attribute Points
- Level 36-39: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 40: 3 Attribute Points
- Level 41-44: 1 Attribute Point
- Level 45: 2 Attribute Points
- Level 46-49: 1 Attribute Points
- Level 50: 3 Attribute Points
How many Attribute Points can be earned in total?
The total amount of Attribute Points you can have on a character in The Elder Scrolls Online is 64, so be sure to allocate them wisely!
As mentioned previously, it’s fairly affordable and straightforward to reset your Attributes Points in ESO, so don’t be afraid to experiment with various builds and setups to find your favorite playstyle for your character.
Where to go next in ESO
In the Elder Scrolls Online there are three main attributes: Health, Magicka, and Stamina. In this guide you will learn how each resources works to your benefit and how to improve it.
Looking to Reset your Attributes in ESO? This guide will help you do it FAST! Some options listed here are even FREE!